Monday, 18 August 2014
Adverts on car radio yesterday as we drove to Harlow, over and over again, with wording along the lines of :-
"It is not hard to overload a mains socket - simply plug in too many high power devices to an extension lead like a hair dryer or heater - but it not so easy to put out the fire - fire kills"
Am I being thick here?
If you plug too many things in to an extension lead the fuse blows.
That is what happens.
Not a fire. The fuse blows. That is all.
That is why we have fuses.
Or are we saying fuses don't work? Is so, why do we bother with them
Or are we saying a 13A socket cannot handle 13A?
What am I missing here? And why is it worth someone (who was not named in advert) paying to run the advert on the radio rather a lot?
I really hope it it not my tax paying for this?
[AFAIK fires are far more likely from faulty chargers or appliances over-heating than simply plugging in too many appliances in to an extension lead that has a 13A fuse in its plug]
I also wonder what the public should do as a result of this advert? Do we add up current of all appliances, and if less that 13A it is OK? What is the load allowed on a 13A socket? If we have more than 13A and the fuse did not blow, who do we sue?