The new Shelly Plus 1 Mini is now available, and it is indeed tiny.
Note: Detailed instructions of upgrade from Shelly to Tasmota via web interface at the end of this blog.
Key differences from the Shelly Plus 1
- Smaller (33½mm x 28mm x 16mm)
- No DC power
- No programming connections
- 8A not 16A relay
The lack of programming header was a concern as I have always reflashed these using the programming header - but it can be done via the web control pages.
I did try, and failed, to find an image of the back of a Shelly Plus 1 Mini - so here you are...
It still has the button on the back.
It still has an LED in the back.
It does still have the ESP32 processor.
But overall, this is a welcome addition to the Shelly family.
The inside is indeed compact. As you can see, the back does have programming pads. I have not worked out what they are yet, but should not be hard.
Upgrade to Tasmota
These are basically the steps from https://github.com/tasmota/mgos32-to-tasmota32 but with some explanation of exactly which menus to pick at each stage.
- You need to connect to the AP for the Shelly, and it does not pop up so you need to visit 192.168.33.1 to talk to its web interface.
- Select "Configure Wi-Fi Settings", tick "Enable Wi-Fi network", select SSID and enter password, and "Save settings". You then have to work out what IP address it is on as it does not say - you may have to check your DHCP server.
- You will need the right zip file. This lists them release section but on a mac you end up with an unzipped directory - you want the raw zip. Curl works with the link, but as they have a 302 you need curl with -L to follow the 302 and so make the valid ZIP file. Note they say you cannot load using a URL in the shelly upgrade menu for some reason.
- On the Shelly control page on its new IP, select "Settings", "Firmware". If the Shelly is not itself on latest code, you may need to tell it to upgrade first.
- On the Shelly control page on its new IP, select "Settings", "Firmware", and under "Upload custom firmware" selecting the zip file. Click "Update device". It should say (at top of page) "Your Shelly is updating...". Note, you need the right upgrade file for the model - it will not work if you pick the wrong one, e.g. don't confuse Plus1PMMini and PlusPMMini for example.
- You then have to connect to the tasmota AP. Wait for it to auto load the set up page, select WiFi and enter password. It shows the new IP so you can get to it (probably the same as the Shelly got).
- Important, it seems the following steps are necessary else it can be bricked on next update!
- Select "Configuration" / "Auto-configuration" and pick the device and "Apply configuration". Again, get the correct device setting.
- The next bit in the instructions was "Open the partition wizard" fooled me. It is "Consoles", "Partition Wizard". If not present then it is possible to upload a Partition_Wizard.tapp file under "Manage file system". Under the "Partition Wizard", select "Start migration". It says "Magic is happening" and there are "multiple restarts". Some intermediate steps will show "SAFEBOOT". It takes a few minutes to be ready.
- Select "Consoles", "Partition Wizard", and click "Resize FS to max". This removes all files (including the Partition Wizard).
You now have an upgraded Tasmota installed Shelly, which is Matter compatible and works with MQTT.
And finally, the pin out for serial programming.
With pogo pins :-)