I said I had my mojo back :-) Yesterday afternoon I decided to have a bash at writing a QR code encoding library, from scratch.
Yes, this is re-inventing the wheel as there are QR encoding libraries out there. It was fun, and it is always nice to have source code that is ours, especially if we may put it in the FireBrick (I am looking at making the TOTP logic in the FireBrick a lot easier to use).
Thankfully Cliff had already written a Reed/Soloman ECC generation function for me, and has made me a very simple BCH coding function. Whilst I understand Error Correction Code, it really is just beyond me in terms of the maths.
I found a copy of IEC18004 on-line. You normally have to pay for a spec, and I may do so at some point, but the court ruling on reading stuff on-line using your browser makes clear that I am not breaking copyright simply be reading it in my browser - whoever is hosting it is. It is 118 pages long!
What really annoys me about this whole specification is the tables of numbers. Instead of saying that the alignment marks will be evenly spaced with spacing between 16 and 20 units starting on unit 6, or something like that, they have a table that states the positioning for each. I played around and worked out a simple algorithm to work out the table and so did not have to use the table - yay. I double checked my calculations only to find one barcode size does not follow the same logic and is a special case for no apparent reason. Why not just make it a simple algorithm?
You then have the same for the level of ECC coding - rather than say "medium ECC uses X% of the space for ECC words" and work that out for each size, there is a table, for four different ECC levels for 40 different sizes of barcode. Then the number of blocks used for ECC is not something simple like "use more blocks when data encoding size is 32 bytes or more" or something simple, no, again a table, for all four ECC levels and all 40 sizes. It drives me round the bend. It could be one line of C rather than typing and double checking and testing hundreds of numbers in to a table.
Anyway, in the end, I have myself a nice little library that codes in 8 bit, Alphanumeric, or Numeric (not Kanji, but I could add that I guess). It codes the input all in one format only - I may, later, make something to work out optimal coding of the string changing coding in the middle as needed, like I did for the IEC16022 barcode library I wrote years ago, but I suspect there is no point.
It is very useful having QR readers on my phone to test it, and the reference coding in the specification was really useful too. I like specs that do a worked example like that.
All in all a fun little project for a Monday afternoon.
This was published at the time on the A&A site but is now a GitHub project (here). And yes, we did put it in the FireBrick for TOTP.
I got solar about 6 months ago. At that time I did not have a battery or an export tariff. In fact it took about 5 months to get any sort of...
Broadband services are a wonderful innovation of our time, using multiple frequency bands (hence the name) to carry signals over wires (us...
The ASR33, like most teletypes of the era, works at a fixed rate. It does 10 characters per second. It is 110 Baud, using 1 start, 8 data (i...
I am using KiCad for PCB design, and it is pretty impressive, but KiCad version 6 has just been released. There are lots of small changes, b...