Inveo Nano PoE sensors. They are quite industrial and cost around £100. In hindsight I realise I could now make a wifi connected temperature sensor for around £2.50 or add a temperature sensor module to my new light switches for a pence, but possibly not as good.
Update: It looks like I could connect a DS18B20 (the sensor the Nano uses) to any of my new Sonoff light switches with incredible ease. So yes, for the cost of the sensor (under £3) I could have put temperature sensor attached to the new light switches and saved £100. Arrrg!
They work quite well. Slight hassle setting up as on a fixed IP not DHCP, but documented well enough, and they will do DHCP. They have several ways of working including SNMP.
I set one up in the bedroom, and this is what I have been testing with for a while now. A cron every minute got the temperature by SNMP and fed in to my air-con control stuff using MQTT.
However, the other two that I had ordered finally arrived yesterday, and they don't work. Arrrg! The SNMP simply does not respond. Yes, I check the manual and the config (it is one tick box to enable SNMP), but nothing. Only difference is new ones are version 1.18 and old one is version 1.17. I was pulling my hair out.
Then I spotted another option: MQTT. When I first installed one I had not looked at MQTT at all, but now I am using it, and in fact feeding the SNMP result in by MQTT. So I tried that.
What is odd is that it allows MQTT to be turned on, but it connects to a pre-set cloud service :-
This is a bit odd, as it seems to mean I could poke temperatures in to their MQTT cloud service for any sensors if I know the MAC. Anyway, the DNS provided on the FireBrick on the VLAN on which I have these things changed the IP for their MQTT server to mine, and now it reports to me. All I had to do was allow my air-con control code to be configurable as to the topic on which it listens for temperature. Sorted! Shame about the SNMP but I don't care now :-)
It is quite nice - it sends temperature every minute, and if it changes (e.g. 0.1 degree change). This had a rather unexpected side effect of making my air-con control too good. It reacted instantly, turning off the compressor when temperature hit the target so the code. It was also trying to keep the average temperature at target and could never win as it never went over target! As a result my room was within 0.2℃ total variation all night which is amazing!
I also noticed that the air-con seems to not try the compressor again for 5 minutes, which probably makes sense, and ensures I am not wearing anything out. As a result, every 5 minutes, it runs the compressor for 20 to 30 seconds or so - whatever needed to reach target temp, and stops. It does work rather well.
I have since tweaked it so it is not trying to set ever hotter temperatures to move that on to the target temperature :-)
I am perhaps old enough to remember when, in general politicians did not outright lie. OK, bear with me, usually they have speeches and stat...
Broadband services are a wonderful innovation of our time, using multiple frequency bands (hence the name) to carry signals over wires (us...
The ASR33, like most teletypes of the era, works at a fixed rate. It does 10 characters per second. It is 110 Baud, using 1 start, 8 data (i...
I am using KiCad for PCB design, and it is pretty impressive, but KiCad version 6 has just been released. There are lots of small changes, b...