And then you try your hardest to fool people trying to work with it... Lets say you have part of the headers contain some IDs, e.g. a "Requester" and "Responder". For a start, they cannot be simple attributes they have to be a RequesterParty with a Party in that and a PartyIdentification in that and an ID in that and two different name spaces involved...
Finally this "ID" field has a value in the content which is a DUNS number (Dunn and Bradstreet, a unique entity ID). But to know this, the ID has an attribute identificationSchemeName="DUNS". Fair enough it seems.
Except, the RequesterParty/Party/PartyIdentification/ID has identificationSchemeAgencyName="DUNS"
and the ResponderParty/Party/PartyIdentification/ID has identificationSchemeName="DUNS"
Yes, different attributes to mean the same thing on the same field in the same field in a different parent field in the same message.
Then lets make the published schema allow both and have no front end checking. Bury some clues in a huge automatically generated word document as well.
Then lets make it so some requests work fine if both are identificationSchemeName="DUNS" but one specific type of request goes in to a black hole if the Requester side it not identificationSchemeAgencyName. No error, just an Acknowledgement of receipt...
Yep, you guessed it - our favourite telco. Took a week for then to work out what we did wrong.
We aim to learn from this and make the XML interface we plan to publish :-
- Simple - not unnecessary nesting of nesting of nesting of fields - where the value can only ooccur once make it an attribute with a meaningful name.
- Easy - one top level name space for it all
- Helpful - errors that say what we did not like in the message
Post a Comment
Comments are moderated purely to filter out obvious spam, but it means they may not show immediately.